Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Giving Thanks and Thanksgiving Strategy

Thank You
First of all, before I start this, I just wanted to give thanks.

1) Thank you to Footballguys (Joe and David) for sponsoring this platform, if you aren't a subscriber to Footballguys, please consider it next season if you've had any success this year. There are over 20 articles per week, projections, etc, and without them, this blog would not be kept free.

2) Thank you for following this blog. Our viewership this season compared to last is up 300% which is awesome and I am especially appreciative of the community aspect we have built on here where. I try to respond to every comment and even though I don't get to all of them, I read every single one of them.

Thanksgiving Strategy-

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite slates of the year, but I do treat it a little bit differently. This is a slate in which I go a little bit more GPP focused, and my cash games are designed a little bit more for 3 man contests and 100 man contests than they are head to heads.

Head to Heads-
To be honest, I have no idea how many head to head contests I will be joining for Thanksgiving. Typically, I have a defined dollar amount that I want to get in play each week, but honestly, Thanksgiving is the exception to that rule. What I do for Thanksgiving is I will join any contest where a player does not have an experience badge or if I have never heard of that player. The reality is that there are so many new players that play only on these types of slates that there is a big advantage to be had if you are smart about game selection.

If you are a player without a badge, what I always recommend is never post games as people especially on FanDuel where there are no matchup blockers and other people can join every one of your posted games. I will only take one matchup per player maximum this is a principle I have established early on that I don't want to be the guy who is mass joining players as I feel they're bad for the industry.

Lineup-
I posted my cash lineup as of now, and it entirely changes if Sterling Shepard does play. Two key players, I want to touch on as I don't have a lot of time on this short week, but wanted to touch on two picks that I'm sure are a bit controversial.

Eli Manning- 
The quarterback position on this slate is nothing short of horrible. I could make strong cases against every quarterback on this slate. My favorite quarterback this week is Matthew Stafford as I do not believe that the Lions will be able to run the ball at all this week, but ultimately I have Eli Manning a close second in terms of value. The reality is that his floor is 200 yards and a touchdown as the Redskins have allowed the fourth-most fantasy points this season to opposing quarterbacks this season.

Josh Doctson-
Why Josh Doctson over Jamison Crowder who will be one of the more popular plays on the slate. The answer is that the chance for Doctson to score a touchdown this week is higher as my concern with Crowder is that he has scored one touchdown on the year and is going up against a much bigger cornerback than him in Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Doctson has been on the field for 90%+ snaps in each of the last two weeks and he should be in a good opportunity against Janoris Jenkins who seemingly has given up after being suspended three weeks ago. 

GPP-
Players that I like as deep shots this week-
Byron Marshall
Kenny Golladay
Marvin Jones- Tough matchup against Xavier Rhodes, but still believe in Jones to come through and will be under-owned


13 comments:

  1. With the small slate is there a certain number you are shooting for on the optimizer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. On this small of a slate, there really isn't a number I'm looking at on the optimizer. I look at upside more than projected value on a small slate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have similar but with Stafford/Rudolph/Chargers

    I just can't bring myself to play Eli again this season.....or ever

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are you able to see and play against less experienced players on Fanduel?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couple ways to do it MRKLS, one is if there are no experience badges (the giant blue thing next to their name). The other thing is if you've never heard of their name before. The final way is if they only have a few games posted, avoid the guys who have 3 or more of the same contest posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know pretty much anyone, so that's not for me. I tend to look for names that are specific to other sports or loyal to a certain NFL team. I know what the experience badge is, but when searching head to heads, virtually everyone is highly experienced. I assumed any player who is experienced or highly experienced is blocked from seeing or playing against players without badges. Am I wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I as well can only see experienced players, but I am forced to use the app today as I an away. I have not seen any non-experienced in 3 days

      Delete
    2. It takes some work as there are a lot of other people trying to do the same thing, I was able to get a few games against players without experienced badges, but not a ton.

      Delete
  7. Devin,

    If Stafford is your favorite QB why not include anyone from DET in the lineup?

    Wouldnt Tate be a safe floor play even on Fanduel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all over Detroit on DraftKings as the PPR aspect instead of the 0.5 PPR. Detroit is such a volume passing offense, but the touchdowns could go to a variety of different receivers like Riddick, Ebron, etc

      Delete
  8. GPP as a pairing with Cousins and Doctson.....

    Crowder or Grant.

    Other postions are non WAS.

    ReplyDelete